In a bid to protect people with albinism amid the ritual attacks threatening their existence, government has embarked on a registration exercise that has so far captured 1 393 people nationwide.
National Technical Committee on Abuse of Persons with Albinism chairperson Hetherwick Ntaba said at a press briefing in Lilongwe on Monday the registration process seeks to ensure safety of people with albinism.
According to a press statement on national response to attacks of people with albinism which Ntaba read at the briefing, the Eastern Region—covering Zomba, Balaka, Machinga and Mangochi— has registered 284 people, Northern Region 141, Southern Region 418, and Central Region 418.
“Arrangements are underway to give police more capacity through implementation of a DNA testing centre to enhance the investigations department. We are also engaging traditional healers to report their foreign counterparts that have escaped stiffer laws from other countries, mostly from Tanzania,” said Ntaba, who is also chief presidential adviser on domestic policy.
Ntaba, who hailed the life imprisonment sentence recently passed by the High Court in Mzuzu to a perpetrator of albino abuse, said amendments have been proposed to the country’s laws to strengthen the protection of people with albinism.
In her remarks, Ministry of Gender, Children and Social Welfare Principal Secretary Mary Shaba said the registration exercise, among others, will help government to provide secure housing to people with albinism.
President Peter Mutharika on May 5 this year formed the technical committee to oversee implementation of all government agreements, initiatives and strategies put in place to end the gross human right violation of persons with albinism.