Despite keeping a tight lid on the number of aspirants who auditioned for the 91-day reality show, MultiChoice sales and marketing manager Titania Kaunda said in an interview that turn-up for the screening process, which ends this Monday, was reasonable despite concerns over low number of applicants.
“So far, so good. We received about 100 application forms and some pairs which did not apply have turned up for the auditions,” said Kaunda as the exercise went into the second day on Sunday.
However, the publicist indicated that the turnout was lower than in the previous years when aspirant housemates used to audition as singles, not pairs.
This year, M-Net will receive into the house of drama, conspiracy and cameras double sparks as contenders will enter in pairs.
The double-up edition, dubbed StarGame, kicks off on May 6, but the road to the auditions was paved with MultiChoice’s decrying low submission of application forms.
The auditions end today and lively characters agedÂ 21 to 25 are encouraged to try their luck in the $300 000 series. The exercise is being conducted by a foursome from Endemol, a South African firm which produces the TV show.
“We are using an open-casting system, meaning even those who did not apply are welcome,” said Kaunda.
The opening of the show will be headlined by US rapper J-Cole on May 6.