Association of People with Albinism (Apam) has expressed worry that the K3.15 billion National Action Plan (NAP) on Persons with Albinism has not effectively addressed attacks on people with albinism in the country.
The four-year NAP (2018-2022) was put in place to address attacks and abductions of persons with albinism to ensure they enjoy their rights.
Speaking in Lilongwe yesterday during the mid-term review of the NAP, Apam acting national coordinator Menard Zakaliya said despite the plan, not much has been achieved.
He said: “People with albinism are still living in fear as abductions and killings continue. Although the number of attacks have decreased, the recent cases are still a cause for worry and fear among the group who feel alienated in their home country.”
Zakaliya cited the abduction of a child with albinism in Chikwawa last Friday, describing it as a very worrisome development.
He said: “Government has also failed to address the issue of safe housing for persons with albinism. There is need to improve on coordination so that everyone participates in ending the attacks.”
However, Ministry of Gender, Community Development and Social Welfare Principal Secretary (Administration) Isaac Katopola said the NAP has helped reduce attacks on people with albinism.
He said, the country was previously recording about 15 cases a year but the figure has dropped to three.
On his part, Malawi Human Rights Commission commissioner Boniface Massa, who is also a person with albinism, called on government to demonstrate how the NAP funding has impacted on lives of persons with albinism.
Government and other stakeholders, identified seven priority areas for the NAP to put an end to attacks on persons with albinism and ensure their rights are promoted .
The areas of focus include civic education; awareness and trainings; administration of justice and support of victims of attacks; safety and security of persons with albinism; and human rights monitoring, among others.