The Blantyre Senior Resident Magistrate’s Court has released on bail seven people suspected to have pelted private vehicles on President Peter Mutharika’s parade with stones in Ndirande Township, Blantyre last Thursday.
Senior resident magistrate Ackia Mwanyongo granted bail to the seven on condition that they produce a bail bond of K25 000 each, two traceable sureties worth K25 000 each and that they should not interfere with police investigations.
The magistrate also ordered the suspects to report to Blantyre Police Station fortnightly from May 27 and to surrender their travel documents.
But Mwanyongo warned the suspects that failure to adhere to the bail conditions will lead to curtailment of their freedom.
The suspects are Maloya Gulani (28), Jonathan William (33), MacCloud Mulima (35), John Meleka (32), David Kaole (27), Precious Matchado (20). They are all residents of Ndirande and were arrested between Thursday and Friday last week.Zulu (33) and Joseph
In an interview after the ruling, police prosecutor Senior Superintendent Bright Sanudi said the State was not surprised with the suspects’ release because bail is their right.
He said the State will parade six witnesses to prove its case.
In a separate interview, the suspects’ lawyer, Wester Kossam said his clients will abide by the bail conditions which he described as reasonable.
The suspects, who appeared before the court on Monday for plea, are charged with malicious damage to three vehicles contrary to Section 344 (1) of the Penal Code. They are also collectively charged with unlawful wounding contrary to Section 241 (1) A of the Penal Code. They pleaded not guilty to all the charges.
Mutharika—presidential candidate of Democratic Progressive Party (DPP)—and his running mate Atupele Muluzi of United Democratic Front (UDF) were on a joint parade in the township after earlier presenting nomination papers to the Malawi Electoral Commission (MEC) at Sunbird Mount Soche ahead of the July 2 fresh presidential election.