In the wake of the controversy surrounding last weekend’s K16 million gross revenue from the Blantyre derby, Big Bullets have suspended their main supporters committee secretary Mabvuto Chibambo and treasurer Bruce Tambwali.
Bullets’ board of trustees chairperson James Busile confirmed the suspension of the duo pending investigations on their involvement in handling of the proceeds and identification of Joka Investments, the firm which manned the gates.
Busile also said the club will investigate how general secretary Titha Mandiza approved the supporters’ recommendation to engage Joka Investments.
“Following a meeting that we [trustees] had with the club chairperson [Sam Chilunga], it has been recommended that the two be suspended immediately to pave the way for investigations.
“There are lots of allegations that have been made against the two and in addition to that, players were even boycotting training, demanding their resignation. So, when we sat down, we felt it wise to institute an investigation,” he said.
Asked what was the players business in demanding the supporters committee officials’ resignation, Busile said: “The players’ understanding is that they could not be paid their dues because there were irregularities in the handling of gate revenue by the supporters since we were the host side.
“Of course, their job is to play football but then they got an assurance that they would be paid all their outstanding dues from the proceeds of the match, but since the revenue was on the lower side, they could not be paid and to a certain extent, they have a point.”
However, Chibambo on Friday said at the time the decision was made, he had already stepped aside to pave the way for investigations.
“I know that the truth shall set me free in the end. In fact, when I was called for the meeting, I excused myself and informed them that I had stepped aside to pave the way for thorough investigations to determine the truth,” he said.
On his part, Tambwali said he was yet to be communicated about his suspension.
“I have not been served with the letter, suffice to say I would have expected them to wait for the investigations being carried out by Sulom to get to the bottom of the matter. Nevertheless, I remain a Bullets die-hard and at an opportune time, I will speak my mind. Hopefully, in the end, the truth will come out,” he said.