Big Bullets have accused Kamuzu Barracks FC fans of xenophobic taunts against their Burundian tactician Nsazurwimo Ramadhan during Sunday’s Super League game at Dedza Stadium.
Bullets chairperson Kondi Msungama said the alleged taunts led to Ramadhan losing his cool in an interview with MBC Radio 2 in which he accused some security agents of abusing their authority.
“They insulted me saying I was a foreigner and, therefore, should be taken off the pitch. Is it a sin to be a foreigner?
“I am fed up! It is [now] a dangerous place to stay in the country,” fumed Ramadhan during the interview.
However, Msungama said Ramadhan might have gone out of his way because of the taunts targeted at him by KB fans.
“Of course, he [Ramadhan] was angered by what happened. His outburst came in the heat of the moment, but he is apologetic that his fit of temper was generalised. Nevertheless, he is not happy with the conduct of some KB fans, neither are we.
“Their taunts were sickening and unfortunate. Worse still these were soldiers being involved in such acts and yet they are supposed to protect people. We have substantial evidence because we identified some of them,” said Msungama.
He said they had talked over the issue with Ramadhan, but will lodge a complaint to the Super League of Malawi (Sulom).
“It was not only Ramadhan who was abused, our defender Pilirani Zonda was physically assaulted and he had to hit back in self- defence. The situation was scary and had it not been for our supporters’ intervention, our players and technical officials could have been roughed up.
“Apparently this is not the first time that our team has found itself in such a situation. I remember when we went to Dedza for a Carlsberg Cup match last year, our supporters were also assaulted. Our GS [Harold Fote] has already drafted a complaint letter to Sulom and we are still consulting on how we can lodge a complaint to MDF [Malawi Defence Force] authorities,” said Msungama.
He also said in view of the development they are planning to ask Sulom and FAM not to fix their games against KB in Dedza.
“It was clear that this was a planned thing. They were out to intimidate us. Apparently that is not the case when we face other military teams such as Moyale, Mafco and Red Lions,” he said.
The Nation could not talk to Ramadhan because according to Msungama, he has been advised not to comment further on the matter.
MDF spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Francis Kakhuta-Banda said they had not yet received a report on the issue.
“We have not heard anything pertaining to that, but we will find out from those that went there on what exactly happened,” he said.