Nyasa Big Bullets are pondering on their next move after Football Association of Malawi (FAM) disciplinary committee slapped them with a K7.2 million fine following the violence that erupted after the Airtel Top 8 final against Blue Eagles at Bingu National Stadium (BNS).
FAM released the verdict on Friday in which the People’s Team has been found guilty on six counts in a fracas that left property damaged and referee Misheck Juba assaulted, for giving a late penalty to eventual winners, Eagles.
Bullets have been fined K500 000 for pitch invasion, K500 000 for criticising match officials in public, K2 million for bringing the game into disrepute and K2 million for the brawl caused by their unidentified supporters.
The disciplinary committee has further ordered Nyasa Big Bullets to pay K325 606.25 for damages caused at BNS and banned them from playing at the said stadium until the repairs are done.
Bullets will also pay for the cost of the proceedings amounting to K971 635.
FAM has also ordered Bullets to pay K1 million, which was suspended last year following violence at MDC Stadium in a Fisd Challenge Cup match against Karonga United, where they were told not to commit a similar offence within two years from November 2017.
Bullets have also been banned from the next edition of the Airtel Top 8.
This means if Bullets finish within the top eight in the Super League, the ninth-positioned team will be considered.
Meanwhile, Bullets chief executive officer Fleetwood Haiya said they are consulting their lawyers on their next course of action.
But the verdict has drawn mixed reactions from stakeholders, with some describing it as harsh.
There are also concerns that the verdict has failed to take action on individuals that acted savagely during the fracas.
“It is surprising that some people who were visibly involved in the act have not been fined. How can hooliganism and violence end when people are being shielded like this? People should learn not to act foolishly behind a team!
“My take is to let people pay for their savagery. That is why some teams do such antics because they are protected. If it were another team, the verdict could’ve included personalities,” said Mzuzu-based Chiza Nyirongo.
Former Bullets general secretary Higger Mkandawire said the K7.2 million fine, the ban and the charges do not make sense.
He said: “The funny thing is that some players and officials were charged and from the verdict, it seems they have not been found guilty. Otherwise, if they were, then they could have been individually fined or banned. So, it means it is [unidentified] supporters that have been found guilty. Then why ban or fine the team?”