The proposed Nyasa Big Bullets FC takeover has taken a new twist after the team’s regional and district supporters committees endorsed the move on Wednesday evening.
This follows a meeting which the committees had with the main supporters committee in Blantyre.
The regional supporters committee chairpersons for the Centre and North, Ethel Moffat and Bosco Bakali, yesterday confirmed the development, saying they called for a meeting to get a clear picture of the matter.
Moffat said: “We wanted our main committee to enlighten us on the issue because a lot is being said and following their explanation during the meeting, we are firmly behind the move.”
On his part, Bakali said: “This team needs ownership and we have seen NYC are serious about turning this team into a professional entity. The club has been operational for almost 50 years and yet despite its rich history in terms of success, we have nothing to show—no club house and not even a team bus.
“After all, the club licensing system requires that a club should have clear ownership. To add on to that, NMC will not be the first to own Bullets, previously there was Bullets Holdings Company and Cifu, so why not give them a chance?”
The club’s main supporters committee chairperson Stone Mwamadi and secretary Manze Chikoti said it is good that the regional and district committees have made their position known.
“We did not want to be seen as if we were imposing, you have heard it for yourselves.
“This club has bona fide members and the next move now will be to ask the trustees to call for an EGM within a month where the final decision will be made and if it passes, then the constitution can be amended. You will note that those that are opposing the move are those that milked the club and did not have the welfare of the players at heart,” he said.
But the club’s board of trustees chairperson James Busiley said he was yet to be communicated to about the outcome of the meeting.
“I have just heard that there was that meeting, but I am yet to meet them. So, at this point I cannot say anything,” he said.
NMC managing director Dimitri Kalaitzis said they will only comment when there is an official position from the trustees regarding the proposal.
Former chairperson Kondi Msungama yesterday reiterated that he will use all means to block the move even if it means going to court, arguing that as sponsors NMC have no interest to take over the club’s ownership.