A nutritionist at Lilongwe University of Agriculture and Natural Resources (Luanar) has described food poisoning, especially in sweet beer, as an over-reaction of organisms in the food substance making it toxic.
The nutritionist said some people also react negatively to some chemicals in food.
“Maize and millet produces zinc and some people do not react well to this kind of zinc,” said the nutritionist.
The academic also said there is an extra hydrochloric acid in sweet beer which can cause serious problems to those who do not react well to hydrochloric acid like those with stomach ulcers, it can even lead to severe damage of intestines.
“This is why those suffering from stomach ulcers are advised not to take sweet beer,” said the nutritionist.
The nutritionist advised people to follow instructions when preparing food and to ensure they eat food they are not allergic to.
Said the nutritionist: “People should keep food properly and avoid over-fermentation in cases of sweet beer because some foods become toxic, develop moulds, bacteria or fungus when kept for too long.”