In twists and turns of sheer comedy, it has emerged that Nyasa Big Bullets cannot trace their want-away striker Jaffalie Chande’s contract.
The development comes in the wake of reports that the player claims not to have a contract with the People’s Team.
Bullets chairperson Sam Chilunga met former general secretary (GS) Harold Fote last Saturday at a hotel in Blantyre to inquire on the whereabouts of Chande’s contract.
Chilunga had not yet responded to our questionnaire on Monday, but Fote confirmed meeting the Bullets boss over the transfer of Chande who recently signed a pre-contract with Bullets’ age-old rivals Be Forward Wanderers.
“It is true. I was first contacted by a Lilongwe-based committee member Wahid Osman, but I told him that I could not discuss such an issue with a mere committee member.
“Then on Saturday I was contacted by Mr. Chilunga. We met at Shire Highlands Hotel and I told him that all the documents, including players’ contracts, were taken away by the thugs who were sent by some [club]officials to ransack the office last year,” said Fote.
But when he was asked to recall whether Chande had a contract, Fote said: “Yes, Jaffalie had a contract, but I cannot remember the duration off-head.
“I hope this will serve as a lesson to the fans and officials that were involved in such an unfortunate act.”
Former GS Titha Mandiza, who took over from Fote, also said she was ignorant on the whereabouts of Chande’s contract.
Football Association of Malawi (FAM) transfer matching system (TMS) manager Casper Jangale yesterday said up to last season, clubs were not furnishing his office with copies of players’ contracts.
“We do not have a copy of Chande’s contract because teams were not adhering to our firmness, unfortunately it fell on deaf ears and these are the consequences,” he said.
Jangale said it is only after the enforcement of the club licensing system that clubs are submitting players’ contracts.
“Clubs need to be producing five copies-one for the club itself, another one for the player and two others for Sulom and FAM.
“So, in a nutshell I would say in the absence of a contract, it will be difficult to prove that Chande belongs to Bullets,” said Jangale.
Bullets vice-general secretary Kelvin Moyo confirmed the meeting his chairperson had with Fote, but said he was yet to be briefed on the outcome.
Asked to comment on reports that they were intending to boycott this weekend’s Charity Shield match against Wanderers, over the impasse, Moyo said: “I don’ think the issue has reached that far.”n