South Africa-based revered boxer Isaac ‘Golden Boy’ Chilemba has suffered a fresh setback following the cancellation of his fight against Russian Fedor Chudinov.
Initially, the bout was scheduled for March 21 in Russia, but was postponed due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
In an interview from his Johannesburg base on Thursday Chilemba said he is disappointed that it is taking time to bounce back into the ring.
Said the former world champion: “Chudinov and his promoter have parted ways and, therefore, the fight contract we signed is invalid.
“My manager Jodi Solomon is now working on another fight for me. Hopefully, we will have something soon.
“For now I have no fight, just training, keeping in shape for any opportunity that might come up.”
In July this year, Chilemba, 33, rejected a proposal to fight Chudinov on July 27, saying he needed more time to prepare after a lengthy lockdown in the rainbow nation.
He boasts 26 wins (10 TKOs), seven losses (one TKO) and two draws while Chudinov, who is also 33, has won all his 23 bouts since turning professional.
Chilemba last fought in December last year when he beat another Russian Alexander Kubich on unanimous points decision in Greece.
Malawi Professional Boxing Control Board president Lonzoe ‘Defector’ Zimba said it is important that the celebrated Malawian boxer should secure a bout soon “so that he does not slump on the world ratings”.