A cholera outbreak has claimed three lives in Nsanje while 148 cases have been registered countrywide, Ministry of Health has confirmed.
A cholera outbreak in Mozambique is suspected to have spread to Malawi, but Ministry of Health spokesperson Henry Chimbali could neither confirm nor deny the link.
Chimbali said his ministry is pulling all the stops to contain the situation.
“All supplies are available such as chlorine, lingers lactate and other items in all facilities in the districts. Health education on hygiene promotion and use of sanitary facilities has also been intensified,” he said, adding that the situation has improved.
According to Chimbali, of the three dead, one died at home while the others died at the hospital.
Chimbali said despite Nsanje registering 110 cases, Chikwawa 24, Mwanza nine, Lilongwe four and Dedza one case, no cholera case has been reported from the camps where flood victims are staying.
The cholera outbreak is coming in after trachoma and scabies have also affected people in the camps.
By March 16 2015, 15 people were treated for trachoma and 10 for scabies at Bereu Camp in Chikwawa.
According to health personnel at the camp, Rodrick Rivekwa, the trachoma and scabies outbreak started last week.
“The condition is improving,” said Rivekwa.
Bereu Camp is keeping 1 024 people from different villages in Traditional Authority Maseya in the district.
Chimbali said other cases of trachoma and scabies among children have been reported at Bitilinyu-Nyachikadza Camp in Nsanje District.
One woman, Elube Jeke from Chikutireni Village, said her first born daughter, who is in Standard One, has dropped out of school due to trachoma.
“Her eyes are swollen and she cannot see properly. This is the same with the other child. Since it started I have not received any treatment,” said Jeke.