The international junior welterweight fight between Wellington Balakasi and Tanzanian Allan Kamote slated for September 28, might fail if a contact dispute involving Balakasi and Ngumi Boxing Promotions is not resolved.
The fight is pegged at K1.6 million (about $5 300), according to Ngumi Boxing Promotions director Steve Msiska, but Balakasi has been offered K120 000 (about $400), which his camp says is too little considering that this is an international fight.
In an interview on Monday, Balakasiâ€™s manager Chiku Kalilombe confirmed that his boxer is yet to sign the contract as he wants it to be reviewed.
â€œYes, it is true we want a review of the contract. My boxer feels the money is on the lower side, so he wants us to negotiate for a better deal. He is still training hard for the fight,â€ said Kalilombe.
Msiska is currently in Tanzania negotiating a contract with Kamote.
â€œI gave them the details of the contract before I left for their scrutiny and I am yet to get feedback. But I can assure you the fight will go ahead. We will reach a common ground,â€ said Msiska in an interview.
A source in the Balakasi camp, said the boxer is demanding K280 000 (about $933).
â€œWhen Mussa Ajibu fought a Zambian opponent last month, his take was $1 000 (about K280 000). He feels he should get the same. This is the bone of contention,â€ said the source.
National Professional Boxing Committee (NPBC) president Lonzoe Zimba said he is yet to get details of the contract for the fight.