Malawi yesterday registered two more coronavirus (Covid 19) cases to take the tally to 41 since the first cases were recorded on April 2 this year.
Minister of Health Jappie Mhango confirmed the news yesterday in Blantyre on the sidelines of a donation of protective materials worth K398 000 000 by Nacala Logistics.
In an interview, the minister said the two cases entered the country from Tanzania through Songwe Border Post. He said one of the two cases is a truck driver aged 26 while the other is his assistant aged 17 who recently transported essential goods to Malawi.
Mhango said: “The two [started suspecting] t h e m s e l v e s u p o n experiencing signs and symptoms of the pandemic
which prompted them to seek medical help and samples of their blood were taken to College of Medicine and came out positive. They have since been put in quarantine in Blantyre.”
The minister also d i s c l o s ed tha t the Presidential Committee on Covid-19 and medical experts met in Lilongwe yesterday to review some of the Covid-19 preventive measures.
“Measures are not static. As we go along, we will keep on reviewing them to ensure that only effective measures are being implemented in the country,” he said.
Out of the 41 cases the country has so far registered, three died, nine have recovered while 29 remain under health management.
Cumulatively, Lilongwe has registered 23 cases and two deaths while Blantyre has recorded 11 cases and one death. Mzuzu has so far registered three cases whereas Zomba, Nkhotakota, Karonga and Chikwawa have registered a case each.
President Peter Mutharika on March 20 declared a State of Disaster and outlined preventive measures, including a ban on public gatherings and closure of schools as part of measures to fight the pandemic.