Concerned youth and human rights organisations in Mzuzu have asked ACB to investigate the stalled Mzuzu Youth Centre (MYC) project which has been getting funding, but there is nothing happening on the ground.
Capital Hill has since 2010/11 fiscal year allocated K800 million to the project.
In their official complaint to the Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) dated July 28 2019, the organisations, which include Youth and Society (YAS), Young Politicians Union (Mzuzu Chapter), Youth-Net, Taekwando, Men’s Coalition, Mzuzu Youth Network and Church and Society of the CCAP Synod of Livingstonia, said government has on several occasions allocated millions of public money through parliamentary votes towards the project, but there is nothing to show for it on the ground.
They also argue that on several occasions, there have been reports of abuse of public resources meant for the project by officials from the Ministry of Youth, Sports and Culture.
ACB public relations officer Egrita Ndala said the bureau does not disclose names of those that have submitted complaints as dictated by the Corrupt Practices Act, as such, she could not make a statement on the matter.
On his part, Minister of Youth, Sports and Culture Francis Phiso said it was unfortunate that the CSOs had taken the matter to ACB.
Launched in 2008 before the 2009 election campaign during former president Bingu wa Mutharika’s administration, the project has so far witnessed two groundbreaking ceremonies under the current Democratic Progressive Party rule.