Blantyre Water Board (BWB) plans to spend K50 million in the second phase of the pipe replacement and lowering project which began in October last year.
In an interview on Monday, BWB spokesperson Priscilla Mateyu said in this phase, which will run up to March this year, the water utility parastatal is replacing old pipes in some areas within the supply area.
“In the project, we are working in areas such as Zingwangwa, Chigumula and Matindi which constantly experience burst pipes and where most of the pipeline is exposed.
“The board expects to cover about 47 kilometres of pipeline works to minimise non-revenue water by five percent, which now stands at 43 percent,” she said.
Mateyu said upon completion, consumers will experience reduced interruptions of water supply due to constant pipe bursts.
The project is one of the reform areas BWB is embarking on to reduce non-revenue water.
During the first phase, BWB replaced 30 km of pipeline in Njamba, Chilomoni, Namiwawa and Makalanga in South Lunzu.
Consumers Association of Malawi (Cama) executive director John Kapito in an interview on Monday welcomed the project, saying consumers will now be paying bills in line with the water consumed. n