Demolition of houses and business structures to pave the way for the construction of the dual carriage section of Blantyre-Zomba (M3)began on Monday in Kachere Township in Blantyre.
When The Nation visited the township on Tuesday, property owners were seen picking up and other construction materials such as nails and broken pieces of wood from their demolished structures.
Standing tall is the Kachere Mosque and some few houses that were also earmarked for demolition and according to sources, compensation claims for the properties is not yet resolved.
In an interview with Mercy Ganeti, whom we found picking up pieces from a demolished house, the house belonged to her sister-in-law who was away at her home village in Dedza District at the time it was pulled down.
Ganeti said her sister-in-law knew very well the demolition was going to happen but was surprised to learn that her house too was affected because the compensation she got was for the ground (land) in front of her house as well as the house’s veranda only.
Other property owners interviewed said they already received their compensation.
Last year, Roads Authority (RA) said the Blantyre-Zomba dual carriageway from Maselema Roundabout to Chiradzulu Junction would cost K12 billion.
Portuguese conglomerate Mota-Engil is the contractor carrying out the construction works. n