Malawi Government has switched off the digital broadcasting network due to what it calls lack of submission of operational signals by television broadcasters.
Digital Broadcasting Network Services coordinator in the Ministry of Information and Civic Education Denis Chirwa confirmed the switch off in an interview on Monday.
“Yes it is true. We are trying to maximise use of the network. We want other broadcasters to come in,” he said.
Chirwa said running the network is expensive as such it requires maximum use of the signal.
The development comes barely a week after Vice-President Khumbo Kachali switched on and colourfully launched the network in Lilongwe on December 31 2013, which was the set deadline for migration.
For television broadcasters to migrate from analogue to digital platform they are required to submit their signals to the Ministry of Information for digital migration processing, but only Luso and MBC television out of 20 stations have so far submitted their signals.
Chirwa lamented the lack of cooperation by the broadcasters to submit their signals but expressed optimism that there are positive developments from the discussions held with the remaining television stations.