FAM has injected K9 million (about $22 500) into 2013 Women’s Football Under-20 Cup which has been rebranded from the previously free-for all women tournament.
Launching the national competition on Thursday, FAM president Walter Nyamilandu and National Women Football Committee chairperson Severia Chalira said the focus on the girls is meant to add steel to the shaky foundation of the sport in the country.
“This tournament starts on September 28, this Saturday, at the district level, regional level in November, then the finals in December. The cup is strictly for Under-20 players from schools and clubs and we expect 150 teams from 16 districts; five each in the North and Centre and six from the South to participate [at the national level],” Chalira said at Chiwembe Technical Centre.
She said the tournament had deliberately been reformated as there was a huge gulf in class between senior teams and schools, hence the need to develop competition and development at the grass roots.
Nyamilandu hailed his association for using an annual allocation from Fifa for the intended purpose of giving the women their share. He said he expected from the launch that FAM would, for a change, get positive publicity.
“We needed to groom a new crop of players. We are laying the foundation. FAM will always ensure that the women get their allocation. We will never misuse or abuse the money. Our conscience is clear, but we cannot guarantee that Malawi will play in international competitions. That is beyond FAM,” Nyamilandu said while calling for increased FAM and private sector support.