A container that serves as a storeroom for People’s Fast Save shop in Area 3, Lilongwe on Wednesday caught fire which destroyed metal tools used for making shelves.
Speaking in an interview at the scene of the accident, stores clerk Felix Emmanuel said some employees at the shop noticed smoke coming out of the container.
“When we opened the storeroom, we saw that the metal materials were up in flames,” he said.
A fire that was lit the previous day to kill bees underneath the container is said to have been left unattended, resulting in the inferno the following morning, according to Emmanuel.
Some workers from the shop rushed to the Department of Fire at Lilongwe City Council (LCC) to report about the incident.
LCC senior fire fighter Hendrix Mulakwanji said they immediately rushed to the accident scene after receiving the report.
“We contained the fire within 20 minutes but extensive damage had already been done,” he said.
Mulakwanji observed that delay in reporting the incident resulted in the damade of most of the items in the storeroom.
“Reporting in good time helps us to save property and even lives of people endangered by any breakout of fire,” he said.
Officials at the shop are yet to establish the total value of damaged property. n