Dreamfoam Mattress Shop, located along Haile Selassie Road in Blantyre, caught fire around midday yesterday. The fire burnt most of the materials in the shop to ashes.
Electricity Supply Corporation of Malawi (Escom) public relations officer George Mituka said a meter bypass and substandard wiring of the shop caused the fire.
He said preliminary findings by the corporation’s engineers revealed that the supply system to the shop had been tampered with by using numerous jumpers to tap electricity from different ends.
He said meter tampering or bypass is an offence punishable under the Electricity Act no 22 of 2004 Section 45 (2b).
The picture shows Blantyre City Council fire fighters and shop workers taking burnt products from the shop. —