Government, through the Malawi National Council of Sports (MNCS) has released funding for the Flames’ back-to-back 2020 Championship of Africa Nations’ (Chan) qualifiers against e-Swatini (formerly Swaziland).
Sports Council executive secretary George Jana yesterday confirmed that government has released K85 million for the two matches.
The funding was released on Thursday, the day the team left for the kingdon nation.
The Council submitted a funding request amounting to about K500 million to government on behalf of FAM and NAM to cater for the Flames’ Chan and Cosafa Cup engagements as well as the Queens’ participation at the 2019 Netball World Cup.
FAM submitted a budget of over K300 million while the netball governing body requested for K160 million.
However, Jana yesterday said only Flames’ funding has been released so far.
“Currently, only FAM has been financed for their games against Swaziland at K85 million,” he said.
FAM president Walter Nyamilandu also confirmed the development, saying: “Yes, it was done yesterday [Thursday], just in time.”
The Flames face e-Swatini’s Sihlangu this afternoon in Manzini in the first leg while the return leg is slated for Blantyre next month.
NAM faces a race against time to have the Queens in camp in preparation for the netball global showpiece slated for July in Liverpool, England