Government claims its separate probes into the mysterious fire at Electricity Supply Corporation of Malawi (Escom) Headquarters in Blantyre and the suspected disappearance of some 30 000 metric tonnes at the strategic grain reserves are almost complete and due for release.
Malawi’s Minister of Information, Tourism and Culture Kondwani Nankhumwa confirmed in an interview that government will release the report on the maize investigation as early as next week Friday, but could not come up with a time frame on the Escom fire.
Nankhumwa said government was analysing reports on the Escom fire which held contrasting views.
“There are four reports from the insurance company, Blantyre Fire Brigade, Escom and Malawi Energy Regulatory Authority (Mera); all these are giving a conflicting position and as government, we will make an announcement after finishing analysing the reports,” he said.
On the suspected disappearance of maize which the previous administration reported that it was rotten and disposed of, Nankhumwa said the official government report was almost complete.
“By Friday next week, the nation will be informed of what happened. The Malawi Human Rights Commission [MHRC] had separate investigation, but they are yet to furnish us with details,” said Nankhumwa.
MHRC, in its annual report last year, also demanded a proper account on the disappearance of the maize and subsequently launched its own investigation into the matter.
However, MHRC spokesperson Chimwemwe Manyozo was yet to respond to a questionnaire on the separate investigation as we went to press.
A previous report on the Escom fire by the previous People Party (PP)-led government ruled out foul play, but civil society groups insisted on a fresh probe following change of government in May.