An employee of Cement Products Limited (CPL) in Mangochi has died after being electrocuted by high power voltage.
Mangochi Police Station assistant spokesperson Amina Tepani-Daudi confirmed the incident and identified the deceased as Gongala Brahamanda, 34, an Indian who was working as an electrical engineer at the factory’s power substation.
She said the incident occurred on September 22 2018 at CPL Factory at Njereza in Traditional Authority Mponda in the district.
“On this fateful day Brahamanda wanted to collect parameter readings from the electrical substation cage as he usually did. Unfortunately, he reportedly forgot to switch off power. In the process, he got electrocuted by the high voltage power which threw him to the ground.
“After screaming for help, his workmates rushed to the spot and took him to Koche Community Health Centre where he was pronounced dead upon arrival,” she said.
Daudi said a post-mortem established that death was due to electrocution.
When contacted, CPL operations manager Humphrey Nkalo confirmed the incident, but said he could not give more details as he was driving.
Currently, the body of the deceased is still at the health centre, waiting to be ferried to India, according to police. n