Flames midfielder Robert Ng’ambi has said he will not turn his back on Flames’ call-up for Wednesday’s 2018 Fifa World Cup preliminary qualifier against Tanzania’s Taifa Stars.
Ng’ambi expressed his disappointment after being reduced to the bench by Flames coach Ernest Mtawali during last month’s 2017 Africa Cup of Nations’ qualifier against Swaziland’s SihlanguSemnikati and was quoted by The Daily Times, saying he could snub the next call-up.
However, Ng’ambi said on Thursday that he has no reason to snub call-up.
“I think I was misunderstood. I have no reason to snub call-up. I am a very reserved person even when I have issues. It is not my style of doing things,” said Ng’ambi in an interview through WhatsApp.
Ng’ambi is among the 20 players that were named for the Tanzania game by Mtawali at a press conference held at Football Association of Malawi’s (FAM) Chiwembe Technical Centre where he reiterated having no grudges against the South Africa-based midfielder.
“I know a lot of things have been written about Ng’ambi. He didn’t play games for a long time, but at the moment he is playing and scoring goals.
“That’s the kind of players we need. We are playing away from home [and] he has lots of experience, the youngsters will need him,” said Mtawali.
However, in his report submitted to FAM on the Swaziland game, Mtawali stated that Ng’ambi refused to be thrown in as a second-half substitute for Yamikani Chester.