Flames coach Meck Mwase says relief was the prevalent emotion when he finally got an offer letter from government after waiting for months.
The national football team gaffer received the offer letter last week, over eight months after his appointment.
“Of course, as I said, there are a few areas that need clarification, but it was pure relief when I got the letter.
“Hopefully, after I go through the draft contract and then we sort out a few technicalities, we can get it over and done with so that I can concentrate on my job.
“We have a busy schedule with the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations [Afcon] and 2022 World Cup qualifiers as well as Cosafa Cup coming up and I need to have a peace of mind,” he said.
According to Mwase, the offer letter states that his one-year contract will be effected from February 2 this year and will end February 1 next year.
He also said the Department of Human Resource Management and Development has offered him the contract in Grade C of the civil service.
This means that the Flames mentor will have seven more months in charge of the national football team.
Ministry of Youth, Sports and Culture spokesperson Simon Mbvundula said Mwase’s acceptance will be in form of him signing the contract.
“Otherwise, the contract has already been drafted and at an opportune time, it will be given to him for his perusal,” he said.
This was the second time that government has changed Mwase’s contract, having earlier indicated that it would be backdated from October 1 2019 to September 30 this year.
“It was felt that it would be better to effect it immediately other than backdate it,” said Mbvundula.
Football Association of Malawi (FAM) president Walter Nyamilandu said: “It’s great that finally we are closing the chapter and that Meck Mwase will be on government pay roll.
“The due processes of government have been completed and we will be putting pen to paper to formalise the process. This works in our favour,” he said.