Mighty Wanderers have claimed that their plans for this year are in a shambles following the failure of the 2013/14 TNM Super League season to wind up on time.
Nomads chairperson George Chamangwana said last Friday that they were supposed to hold elections for the executive and supporters committees early this year but the Super League deadlock has forced them to push the polls further.
He added that they were also expected to sketch their fundraising activities early this month so as not to be caught off guard in the face of financial struggles they are going through due to lack of sponsorship.
The season came to an abrupt halt in December following the fracas that claimed a life at the Balaka Stadium during the league’s crunch game between the Nomads and Silver Strikers.
Super League of Malawi (Sulom) is yet to release a verdict of the teams’ appeals against suspensions they got for “failing to control actions of their fans.”
But Chamangwana, who has been leading the Wanderers’ executive committee on interim basis for three years, said life has been difficult for them since they were suspended last month.
“We were supposed to sketch our 2014 plans early January but everything is now stuck in the mud following the ban Sulom imposed on us. Sulom’s delay to release the verdict on our appeal is even making things worse for us,” he said.
While saying that the verdicts on the Nomads and the Bankers’ appeals will be announced within the week, Sulom president Innocent Bottoman said Wanderers should not use the issue as a scapegoat for their failed plans.
“Our appeals committee is still in session and the verdict will probably be ready on Tuesday. However, we feel that Wanderers’ complaint does not hold water because they can still make their plans at any time,” said Bottoman.