A house at Area 36 in Lilongwe was on Wednesday morning gutted by a fire from a suspected forgotten burning candle in the children’s bedroom. The fire reportedly destroyed everything in the room as well as other household items including two television sets, a DVD player, books and beddings.
Margaret Chinsewu said there was a power outage early in the morning and her children used a candle to prepare for school, but forgot to put it out. The fire was extinguished by Lilongwe City Fire Brigade and some property was rescued by well-wishers. In the picture,well-wishers busy rescuing property after breaking windows.—STEVEN PEMBAMOYO, Staff Reporter