Lilongwe Water Board has lost K6 million (about $24 000) to a two-day strike in which its employees downed their tools from August 28 to 29 to force Malawi Government to give them 30 percent.
The boardâ€™s spokesperson Trevor Phoya in an interview last week said during the strike some residents vandalised its pipes to access water.
â€œIn some areas in the city, people resorted to breaking pipes to access water. This has caused some areas to go without water for a week or two and in the process the board has lost K6 million,â€ said Phoya.
He said the figure is likely to rise as some houses are still not accessing water.
â€œIn Areas 24, 21 and Kawale, some people broke the pipe and started selling water to women. This caused Kamuzu Barracks, Chilinde, Kawale and Area 23 to go without water despite the strike being over,â€ said Phoya.
Minister of Irrigation and Water Development Richie Muheya described the situation as regrettable, adding that government will try its best to normalise the situation.
â€œThis is the reason we rushed to Lilongwe Water Board when we heard that they had laid down tools because we did not want people to suffer. It is better that whenever there are disagreements, people must always give dialogue a chance,â€ said Muheya.