Government has donated foodstuffs to victims of hailstorms in Traditional Authority Tsabango in Lilongwe. However, reality on the ground shows there is still a long way to go for the affected people to fully recover from the disaster.
Minister of Homeland Security Nicholas Dausi, who is also responsible for Disaster Management Affairs, on Thursday cheered victims of last month’s hailstorms and donated maize, salt and beans among other items.
According to the minister, over 500 houses were destroyed, destabilising 2 000 people and leaving one person injured.
One of the victims, Lea Kalinda, appreciated the effort in an interview with Nation on Sunday, but said they need more support.
“I saw the walls falling, but by grace we were not injured. All our property, including food and kitchen utensils, among other items were swept away,” Kalinda, who hails from Odima Village, recounted.
She said she is lodging a house of a relative who is in South Africa.
“I don’t have money to rebuild my house. I am just praying that the owner of the house doesn’t come back any time soon,” she said.
The heavy rains also destroyed several hectares of crops, scaling up fears of poor harvest.
Dausi promised that government will continue to supply food to the victims for the next three months.
He added that through the Malata Subsidy Programme, government will ensure that the victims are supported so they can construct durable houses. n