Malawian Airlines Limited, the successor of liquidated national flag carrier Air Malawi Limited, will be officially launched this morning at Kamuzu International Airport in Lilongwe, the company’s public relations officer Maganizo Mazeze has said.
The airlines started its operations on January 31 this year, with a domestic inaugural flight to Blantyre and thereafter introduced international flights to Zimbabwe, South Africa, Zambia and Tanzania.
The airline will soon start flying to Beira, Tete and Maputo in Mozambique, according to Mazeze.
With 51 percent owned by the Malawi Government and the remaining stake, 49 percent, held by its strategic partner, Ethiopian Airlines (ET), the airline has two new generation aircrafts, 154-seater Boeing 737-800 and a Bombardier Q400 with 67 seats, both of which are less than two years in operation.
“The airline’s goal is to assert authority and become a reliable airline within the Southern Africa bloc, also desiring to expand its wings beyond Tanzania to the East.
“We pledge to be the airline of choice to our customers by providing world class service. Malawian Airlines strongly believes that concentrating its route network in the region would enhance regional economic integration and grow the tourism industry for Malawi,” said Mazeze.
The Malawi Government, which liquidated Air Malawi Limited, engaged the Public Private Partnership Commission (PPPC) in their quest to establish a vibrant air transportation services.
Air Malawi Limited was riddled with debt which resulted in its services going down.
Malawian Airlines Limited is carrying its tagline of ‘From the Warm Heart of Africa’ and is determined to market the country as the ideal tourism destination and for doing business, according to Mazeze.
Thus far, the company has recruited 46 employees with six pilots and 15 cabin crew and the rest of the employees are in maintenance, sales and marketing and finance and administration departments.