Mangochi Civil Society Organisations Network has asked the Second Grade Magistrate’s Court in the district to conduct in an open court proceedings of a case involving three accounts officials suspected of stealing K43 million at the council.
The demand comes after the three were granted bail last week in a “closed chamber”, a development which the network’s vice-chairperson Dickens Mahwayo said violated the citizens’ right to follow the case.
In a letter addressed to the district’s Second Grade Magistrate Augustine Mizaya, the network said the case has attracted public interest; hence, the need for an open court session for people to follow the proceedings.
“It is against this background that we would like to humbly ask your office to have the case heard in an open court. It is our sincere hope and belief that you will consider this request,” reads the letter in part.
However, when contacted, Mizaya refused to comment, saying the first grade magistrate was in a better position to talk about the issue.
The three suspects, who were arrested on August 23 2019 and granted bail on August 26 2019, are still being investigated and are expected to appear in court soon.