The much-anticipated non-title bout between Limbani Masamba and Moses Mahilasi will not take place at the Blantyre Youth Centre (BYC) today because organisers of the bout, Namisonga Boxing Promotions, have shifted the date to April 27.
Namisonga managing director Charles Nkhoma told Nation on Sunday yesterday that the change is intended to give the boxers ample time to prepare for the eight-round bout, the first high-profile fight in Blantyre in eight months.
“We want boxing lovers to watch good action as it has been a while since the country’s commercial city hosted a big fight. The boxers need to be well prepared before they get into the ring. They started their preparations mid last month and they need more time to be in good shape,” said Nkhoma.
According to Nkhoma, all the other necessities such as the boxing ring and prize money for the boxers have already been put in place. He appealed to well-wishers to help in other areas such as advertising.
The match comes a few months after 22-year-old Masamba hinted at retirement following defeat to Chimwemwe Chiotcha. His record has five technical knock-out wins (TKOs) and two losses.
Mahilasi, 35, returns into the ring after two years. He has a record of 22 wins in 30 professional fights.