The Malawi Congress Party (MCP) primary elections woes have failed to die as some aspirants have sued the party and Malawi Electoral Commission (MEC) for contempt of court.
On Monday last week, MEC went ahead to receive a nomination form from Lilongwe South West incumbent Jean Sendeza even after the High Court in Lilongwe granted some aspirants for the constituency an injunction halting the process.
The aspirants argued that primary elections were not conducted in the constituency and allowing Sendeza to submit a nomination form was tantamount to imposing the candidate on the electorate.
Following the injunction, MCP national executive committee (NEC) decided to conduct primaries on Thursday but this did not take place even after aspirants and party members had gathered.
“While we were waiting, the district chairperson received a call from the director of elections Henry Kamata that primaries would not be taking place. No reason was given,” said Sezi Kawole, an aspirant for councillorship.
Kawole said MCP and MEC allowed Sendeza to present her nomination forms around 11am on Monday when the injunction was served on them at 8.30am.
“Our lawyer will file contempt of court charges against MCP and MEC but some aspirants have opted to contest as independent candidates because of this development,” Kawole said.
MCP had eight people aspiring to contest on the party ticket for Parliament and two as councillors.
MCP director of elections and spokesperson Jessie Kabwila said in an interview yesterday that the party’s NEC had information that the injunction was lifted which paved way for Sendeza to submit her nomination form.
Kamata last week said there was no deliberate ploy to impose Sendeza but the party has allowed her to submit nomination papers while seven other aspirants waited to contest as MCP candidates.