The Scordis family has offered Malawi Housing Corporation (MHC) to buy the controversial piece of land at Ngumbe in Blantyre where the corporation encroached and built houses.
Kuleza Phokoso, lawyer representing the Costas and Samantha Scordis family, said on Sunday that both parties agreed to resolve the land dispute outside the court.
He said: “The meeting agreed that a better alternative should be found. Instead of fighting in court or demolishing the already constructed and occupied houses, an amicable solution should be reached.
“So, the family has offered MHC to buy the land. That offer has been submitted to MHC and the Ministry of Lands. The owners, Chitseko Estate Limited and Scordis family are waiting for a response on that offer.”
In an interview, MHC spokesperson Ernestina Lunguzi confirmed that the corporation received the offer to buy the land.
However, she said the corporation is still looking at the offer as there are a number of issues that need to be addressed.
Said Lunguzi: “Right now the technocrats here are looking into the matter. After that, the matter will be referred to the MHC Board for its final decision.”
Both Lunguzi and Phokoso could not say how much the family is demanding.
The offer follows a meeting held a fortnight ago between the family, Ministry of Lands and MHC officials.
Last month, some families occupying MHC houses at Ngumbe were given 15 hours to vacate the houses following a High Court order stopping any activity on the said piece of land.
Nearly 15 households were issued with eviction orders from their two-bed room rented semi-detached houses which the parastatal constructed on the alleged private land.
Following the vacation notice, Minister of Lands Kezzie Msukwa and his deputy Abida Mia visited the area and pleaded with the Scordis family to resolve the matter outside court.
Before starting the housing project, MHC management is reported to have ignored a professional advice not to proceed due to the ownership issue forcing the Scordis to drag the corporation to court in 2018.
The corporation’s move compelled the family to file a suit against the parastatal in 2018 demanding a permanent injunctive stopping it and its agents from claiming ownership of the land, trespassing and encroachment and building of houses.
The Scordis claimed they suffered loss because of the trespass and encroachmen.