Minister of Lands, Housing and Urban Development Simon Vuwa Kaunda has put his foot down, saying he will not allow an investor to construct a multi-million kwacha hotel at Katoto Secondary School Sports Complex in Mzuzu.
This comes after the investor made a fresh bid to Mzuzu City Council (MCC) to reconsider its decision to allocate him another piece of land for his project near the sports complex.
Confirming the latest development in an interview on Monday, the minister said: “He made a request through MCC that he should still be allowed to go ahead with his project at the sports complex because of its proximity as it is situated near the main road, but I stuck to my guns.
“It’s not that we are trying to frustrate him, but with the Mzuzu Stadium deteriorating, Katoto is the only alternative venue in Mzuzu.
“So, once again I am saying in my capacity as minister responsible for Lands, I am saying no. President Professor Peter Mutharika prioritises the youth. I know my President and if I do that, I will have no job tomorrow,” said Kaunda.
He retaliated that doing so would also deprive the youth an opportunity to enjoy sports activities.
Last week, MCC spokesperson McDonald Gondwe confirmed that initially, the council had allocated the site to the potential investor because they had planned to allocate another piece of land for the complex close to the same site.
“Necessary measures are always put in place when giving out land to investors. The issue was referred to Department of Lands for approval,” he said.