The Ministry of Education says it is consulting different stakeholders on how to deal with Malawi School Certificate of Education (MSCE) candidates as they wait to retake their examinations.
Deputy Minister of Education Madalitso Wirima Kambauwa said this in an interview on Wednesday after a five-hour closed-door meeting with Malawi National Examinations Board (Maneb) management at the institution’s headquarters in Zomba.
She said as a ministry, they cannot make decisions on their own as there are numerous stakeholders that need to be involved before coming up with a firm position on the matter.
Said Kambauwa: “We have not yet come up with a formal position because so many meetings are taking place at the ministry.
“There are so many consultations taking place between the ministry and stakeholders. But consultations take time and there is need for patience.”
Kambauwa said once consultations are done, candidates, including the public, will be told the way forward.
On the probe into the 2020 MSCE examination leakage, she said investigations are underway and there is need for patience.
Commenting on the investigations, in a separate interview, Maneb executive director Gerald Chiunda, who was suspended yesterday, said they have involved various security agencies who have offered help.
“This far, investigations are still going on and we would believe that as a nation, we should be patient so that our investigations are done conclusively,” he said.
Chiunda also stuck to his guns that the leakage took place within Maneb and expressed optimism that they will sort out the matter in due course.
Last week, President Lazarus Chakwera called for replacement of Maneb management and directed Ministry of Education to launch an investigation on the matter and submit a report to him within a week.