Mozambique-based midfielder John ‘CJ’ Banda says the lockdown extension in that country due to the Covid-19, paints a gloomy picture on whether football will be played this season.
Apart from ‘CJ’, other Malawian players in the top-flight Mocambola League are his UD Songo teammates Frank Banda and Schumacher Kuwali and Ndaziona Chatsalira, who turns out for Vilankulo FC.
Mozambican President Filipe Nyusi announced the 30-day lockdown extension last Wednesday as he revealed a plan to ease restrictions in the coming days. He added that the actions are critical in containment of the virus.
Said Banda: “With the current situation, it is now uncertain whether football will be played.
“We just have to live everything in the hands of God. We have no choice, but to pray that the situation improves.”
He said the situation is taking a toll on them as they continue being deducted 50 percent of their pay.
“It is tough, but then this is a crisis and there is nothing we can do about it,” said Banda.
According to media reports, the renewal of the State of emergency in Mozambique was announced seven days after the previous one elapsed. In May, the state of emergency in that country had been extended to June 29.
Nyusi said his government has come up with a three-phase plan for the resumption of social and economic activities and that citizens’ safety has been carefully considered.
The first phase is to begin on August 18, and will see the resumption of face-to-face learning in institutions of higher learning, teacher training institutes, military training academies and technical, professional and health institutes. This first phase will also allow for religious gathering of not more than 50 people.
Part of the report, reads: “The second phase, expected to take effect in September, will have gyms, driving schools, casinos, and cinemas reopen.
The third phase will start on October 30, whereby grade 12 classes will resume learning, and other grades will follow soon afterwards.”