Unspecified amount of property was destroyed on Monday when Mpherere Catholic Parish Sistersâ€™ convent caught fire in the central Malawi district of Ntchisi.
Ntchisi Police spokesperson Gladson Mâ€™bumpha said in an interview, the fire started at around 11am when the sisters had gone to their respective jobs.
He claimed an electric water heater that was left on during a blackout ignited the fire when power was restored.
â€œThey all went to work and when power was restored, the electric water heater switched on automatically.
â€œSince there was no water in the heater, it caught fire which spread to the whole house. Items such as 40 mattresses, 20 blankets and 10 bags of maize have all been burnt whose value has not yet been established.â€