South African doctors are yet to operate on Malawi’s Ministry of Finance budget director Paul Mphwiyo who was shot last week.
The doctors are waiting for swellings to subside before removing bullets from his body, Weekend Nation has learnt.
Mphwiyo was shot three times last Friday as he drove into his Area 43 home in Lilongwe.
He was flown to South Africa last Sunday where he is receiving treatment at Milpark Clinic in Johannesburg.
Director of Clinical Services in the Ministry of Health, Dr. George Chithope Mwale, said in an interview on Fridaythe budget chief was still in the intensive care unit (ICU).
Chithope Mwale said Mphwiyo developed facial swellings resulting from tissue reactions, forcing surgeons to delay operations to remove the bullets.
“This notwithstanding, he is making steady progress and responding well to the treatment,” said Chithope Mwale.
He could not indicate when the operations would take place, saying this will depend on how soon the swellings ‘subside’.