Kondi Msungama on Monday officially resigned as Big Bullets FC chairperson, ending the uncertainty that surrounded his status in absence of official communication.
Msungama, who announced his resignation through the media last month following pressure from the main supporters committee leadership, handed over his resignation letter to general secretary Harold Fote during a news conference held at Alendo Hotel in Blantyre.
The development comes barely a day after the club’s first vice-general secretary Titha Mandiza told The Nation that Msungama was still the club’s chairperson as he had not tendered his resignation.
“I hope this puts to rest all the uncertainty regarding my status,” said Msungama.
And speaking on the sidelines of the news conference, Msungama also admitted that the CAF Champions League adventure was a flop due to infighting, especially after the return match against Fomboni Club De Moheil of the Comoros.
“But I do not have any regrets for having joined the competition because if we were all pulling in the same direction, it could have been a successful campaign.
“We had a very good strategy, but unfortunately all our plans were botched up because of internal wrangles. For example, during the Fomboni game, K24 million was raised, unfortunately we had lots of debts,” he said.
The former Bullets boss also said had it not been for infighting, they would have raised the targeted K40 million from the Al Hilal game through gate proceeds and marketing drives.
“But the situation had worsened and no one brand wanted to be associated with Bullets considering the mess that we were in,” he said.
Msungama also claimed that he has taken the final bow with his head held high.
He said: “I keep on saying that I achieved all what I promised the Bullets faithful—the league title, a cup and CAF Champions League participation and I look forward to the time another chairperson will surpass that feat.”