Cultural group Mulhako wa Alhomwe says it has postponed this year’s festival due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
Addressing a press conference in Blantyre on Saturday, the group’s Southern Region chairperson Blessings Mwakwinja said although preparations for the event had already started, they had no choice but to follow government instructions.
“People had already started making contributions for the event, but we thought it wise to follow what other cultural groups have done by suspending their events.
“Government instructed that there should be no more than 100 people gathering and you know that Mulhako wa Alhomwe attracts thousands of people. So, by abiding by government instructions and for the safety of our people, it was necessary to postpone it,” he said.
Mwakwinja dispelled claims that the cultural group failed to conduct this year’s event because the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) is out of power.
He said Mulhako wa Alhomwe is not a political entity and not even loosely connected to DPP.
“Some might think because the group was founded by former president late Bingu wa Mutharika, then it is a DPP wing. But you should know that Mutharika formed it as a Lhomwe and not president,” he said.
Senior Chief Kaduya said with the pandemic, chiefs sat down and agreed to postpone the event even though contributions had already started.
“We are still monitoring the situation and if things change, we many consider having it,” she said.
Mulhako wa Alhomwe cultural event takes place in October every year. Other cultural events such as Umtheto and Kulamba have also been postponed.