One time best selling musician Joseph Nkasa may have faded in the music limelight, but his artistic exploits have left a lasting impact on many music lovers.
He still retains the respect of music enthusiasts after attracting over half a million votes in a random poll conducted by online entertainment page Mikozi Network as they woo him to perform on their platform.
Nkasa faced dancehall kingpin Nepman, fellow old-timer Billy Kaunda, newcomers Charisma and Seven ‘O’ More. There was no marked difference between the votes for Nkasa and Nepman, but the financial pledges that people put forward proved decisive at the end of the day.
One music enthusiast Caleb Thole said if Nkasa performs, he will sponsor the set with K300 000.
Another music fan identifying himself as Born Richie posted: “Nkasa deserves to perform on the Mikozi platform. He is among the all-time best sellers. I will personally put K150 000 for his set.”
The gestures left Mikozi Network with no choice but to search for Nkasa and according to coordinator Bright Excess Chiligo, the artist has confirmed his availability for the set scheduled for tomorrow.
“All agreements with Nkasa have been reached. So far, half a million has been raised and some are yet to honour their pledges,” he said.
Excess said the artist will get 70 percent of the money to be raised while the other 30 percent will cover the expenses of his supporting band.
In an interview, Nkasa said he is excited to get an opportunity to perform on the platform. He said he feels indebted to all those who have contributed to make his appearance possible.
The Mose wa Lero creator said: “This shows that my relationship with my fans is still thriving. I am really happy for the opportunity. I just have to show them that I remain the Nkasa they once knew. Nothing has changed. So, they should expect a thrilling performance.”
In a separate interview, Thole said the current trending artists should know that the local music landscape cannot ignore the contribution of artists such as Nkasa.