Briane Mwando has denied Mzuzu-based Felix Mwamaso the national middleweight belt rematch despite Ken One Boxing Promotions coming forward to sponsor the bill at Obrigado Leisure Park in Mzuzu.
Mwando who snatched the title from Mwamaso last month at Robin’s Park, told The Nation on Tuesday that he cannot defend the title against the Mzuzu-based boxer.
“Note that for the moment, I don’t fight for money, but to advance my boxing career. I have fought with Mwamaso for some time. I wanted the belt which he was keeping and I have just achieved that. I cannot accept to fight him again for the title even if the promoters can put millions of money. I would rather opt for other names not Mwamaso,” he said.
But Mwamaso claimed that he lost the title to Mwando because he did not prepare well due to lack of funds.
“I am supposed to reclaim my belt which Mwando is temporarily keeping. Remember that he got that belt because I was not ready for that title defence fight, but I just accepted to fight him at the expiry of the mandated period of three months,” he said.
Mwamaso snatched the belt after defeating Alick Mwenda in Lilongwe last year at Lilongwe Community Centre.
Meanwhile, Malawi Professional Boxing Control Board (MPBCB) president Lonzoe Zimba said the board and promoters reserve the right to pick an opponent for Mwando adding that Mwamaso is the number one contender for the belt.
“In this case, Mwando is supposed to defend the title in 90 days by facing Mwamaso who is his outright contender,” he said.