The hyped construction of Mzuzu Youth Centre (MYC) has not yet begun despite being subjected to a second ground breaking ceremony last month.
On December 19 last year, Minister of Labour, Youth, Sports and Manpower Development Henry Mussa said construction of the centre would begin immediately.
But a month on, there is nothing to show on the overgrown ground near Grand Palace Hotel.
Capital Hill has since attributed the delay to challenges in mobilising resources for clearing land, making access roads and installation of power and water supply on the spot.
In the 2016/2017 budget government has allocated K50 million for preparatory works of the Chinese-funded project.
In an interview, the ministry’s spokesperson Simon Mvundula said a Plant and Vehicle Hire and Engineering Services (PVHES) grader earmarked to clear the land needed some attention.
“Our friends who were to do the actual civil work said they needed fuel and the grader that is [earmarked] to be used needs to be fitted with new tyres,” said the publicist.
He indicated that the ministry has since paid the money and ground works would begin today.
Youth and Society executive director Charles Kajoloweka accused government of lacking interest and political will to construct the youth centre.
MYC has been a ghost project for over six years.
In 2010, Parliament approved K30 million for the project.
A further K20 million was approved in the 2011. It was also allocated K200 million in 2014. n