Netball Association of Malawi (NAM) says it will need K31 million for Under-21 Africa Netball World Youth Championship qualifiers set for Botswana from July 23-25.
The association’s president, Rosy Chinunda, said government through the Malawi National Council of Sports (MNCS) has given them until January 31 to submit their budget.
“The money will cater for camping expenses, air tickets and actual participation at the three-day event,” said Chinunda in an interview on Tuesday.
She said NAM has just short-listed about 40 players from which the final squad will be identified .
“This means we will have two training camps. The first will be to select the team for the final squad out of the 40 players and the second will cater for actual preparations in the countdown to the tournament
“We plan to have the first camp in March to form a team to represent the nation,” she said.
Chinunda said NAM is currently conducting a screening process to ensure that all the 40 players that have been recruited are indeed within the recommended age range.
She said the process was started by the late Connis Mhone who was the Under-21 national coach.
Said Chinunda: “We are continuing from where Connis left. I’m glad to announce that most of the girls are giving accurate information of their birth dates and so far the process has gone on well.”
However, MNCS executive secretary George Jana said they are yet to receive the budget.
“Once they [NAM] submit the budget, it’s when we can make a decision. As of now, we are yet to get the budget,” said Jana in a telephone interview from Blantyre.
Meanwhile, NAM general secretary Carol Bapu yesterday said they are yet to identify the late Mhone’s replacement.
“But the process is underway,” she assured.