Blantyre City Council (BCC) chief executive officer Ted Nandolo is still on suspension because investigations into his alleged misconduct are not concluded, Ministry of Local Government and Rural Development has said.
Nandolo also confirmed his status in an interview on Thursday, saying he is still on suspension and that he does not know when his fate will be considered.
But the ministry’s spokesperson Muhlabase Mughogho said the BCC chief will know his fate the moment investigations are over.
She said: “He is still on administrative suspension as investigations into his alleged misconduct are still ongoing. In the meantime, all I can say is that nothing has changed regarding his suspension.”
Nandolo said in addition to not getting his salary, his official vehicle was also withdrawn.
He said: “All I can say is that I am getting nothing at the end of the month because my salary and other benefits, including my official vehicle [BR 2348] were withdrawn. I am living in my private residence.”
Nandolo was suspended in March this year for allegedly implementing salary increments without following required procedures.
BCC employees started receiving the new salaries in December last year.
Nandolo’s suspension letter dated March 24 2015 and signed by the ministry’s then principal secretary Kester Kaphaizi read: “I, therefore, wish to advise that in exercise of powers vested in him by the Local Government (Amendment) Act Number 17 of 2010, Section 6(2), the Hounarable Minister has directed that you be suspended from exercising the powers and functions of your office as chief executive officer with immediate effect.”
Former minister of Local Government and Rural Development Trasizio Gowelo accused Nandolo of acting like a minister by authorising the increments.
But Nandolo told The Nation in April that implementation of the new salaries was done while he was away to Vietnam on duty and that the office had to adjust the salaries to suppress an impending strike. n