Authorities say they will relocate 92 Mozambican asylum seekers that are being accommodated at Dinde Primary School in Chiphwembwe Village, Traditional Authority (T/A) Malemia in Nsanje before the next school term starts on Monday.
In an interview yesterday, Nsanje district education manager Hendrix Likeke said authorities have agreed to relocate the asylum seekers to a Mota Engil camp where some flood victims were being accommodated last year.
He said this is to avoid disturbing the children academically.
Said Likeke: “We have looked into the matter and by Monday all the asylum seekers will be relocated to ensure a perfect learning environment for the learners.”
Nsanje District disaster risk management officer Humphrey Magalasi said the number of asylum seekers entering the district has reduced from about 20 a day to one or two.
“The figures are reducing and sometimes days pass without receiving any asylum seeker,” he said.
There has been an influx of asylum seekers from Mozambique in Mwanza and Nsanje amid skirmishes between Frelimo and Renamo in that country.
The asylum seekers claim they are running away from torture and killings perpetrated by Frelimo towards those suspected to be Renamo supporters.
However, authorities in Mozambique have denied any conflict and assured the people to go back, but they have refused.
Over 11 000 asylum seekers are registered in Mwanza. n