The Office of the Ombudsman has cleared National Local Government Finance Committee (NLGFC) chief executive officer (CEO) Alifeyo Banda of his alleged irregular recruitment.
In a telephone interview yesterday, Ombudsman spokesperson Arthur Semba said their investigations found no wrongdoing in the hiring of Banda.
He said: “We have established that the allegations were unfounded and Banda was consequently cleared.”
In April this year, the Office of the Ombudsman received a letter from anonymous concerned NLGFC staff, asking for an investigation into how the CEO was recruited. They alleged that Banda did not hold appropriate qualifications for the post.
The letter also alleged that Banda was offered a contract at the age of 59 despite his predecessor being told to leave after reaching the age of 60.
But Semba yesterday said the Ombudsman investigation showed that all procedures and processes were followed in Banda’s recruitment.
In an interview yesterday, Banda said he was glad that the truth has prevailed and he had been cleared.
“I am happy that things have turned out this way, I have been vindicated. It wasn’t an easy thing being under such a probe but I am happy that the truth has come out,” he said.
Banda said the outcome has further motivated him to discharge his duties confidently and in the interest of the public.
However, he said it was worrisome that people tend to create false stories about their colleagues to tarnish their reputation. In the aftermath of the June 23 2020 Fresh Presidential Election, the Office of the Ombudsman embarked on a probe of various State institutions on numerous issues, mainly on alleged irregular recruitments and abuse of office, among others, following reported complaints.