Malawi has once again failed to qualify for the 2016 Olympic Games to be hosted by Brazil in July.
The development has led to the Malawi Olympic Committee (MOC) to trim the number of participants to 11 from 26 as initially planned, Nation on Sunday has learnt.
The 11 athletes are from archery, taekwondo, weightlifting, judo and lawn tennis.
MOC administrative secretary Naomi Chinatu confirmed the development in an interview during the week.
Federation (ISF), the International Athletes Associations Federation (IAAF) and the International Taekwondo Federation (ITF), have offered two slots each.
Weightlifting Association of Malawi president Richard Kuwali said currently they have lined up three weightlifters to travel to Brazil.
“We have Brito Mota, John Phiri and Stella Kamanga who we want to represent us in Brazil. Our allocation is two, but we are negotiating
with our mother body so that we send three athletes. From the talks we are having things look promising,” said Kuwali.
Archery Association Malawi President Henry Sakala said they are
sending their archers to Turkey in June for preps.
“Last month our archers were in China and now they will be going to Turkey,” said Sakala.
In a related development government is yet to approve funds for the Rio team trip, according to Chinatu. n